You can record purchase returns (both local and interstate) against an earlier purchase transaction using a debit note.
To record purchase return using a debit note
1. Go to Gateway of Tally > Accounting Vouchers > Ctrl+F9.
2. Original invoice no: Enter the invoice number of the original purchase transaction against which you are recording the purchase return.
3. In Party’s A/c Name, select the party from which the original purchase was made.
4. Select the central and state tax ledgers.
5. Provide GST details: Enable this option if you want to enter additional details about the purchase return.
o 01-Sales Return - When there is a return of goods or services after sales.
o 02-Post sale discount - When discount is allowed on goods or services after sales.
o 03-Deficiency in service - When there is a deficiency in services (like a quality issue) after sales.
o 04-Correction in invoice - When there is a change in the invoice raised that leads to change in tax amount.
o 05-Change in POS - When there is a change in place of supply that leads to change in tax amount.
o 06-Finalization of Provisional assessment - When there is a change in price or rate after the department issues a notification about the finalized price of the goods or services.
o 07-Others - Any other nature of return.
Similarly, you can record purchase returns against an interstate purchase by selecting the relevant party, purchase ledger, and integrated tax ledger.